/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cook-Your-Life-Logo-687x1030.png 0 0 Leo Keijzer /wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cook-Your-Life-Logo-687x1030.png Leo Keijzer2020-09-01 08:59:092020-09-18 09:59:27Szechuan roasted whole chicken
Szechuan roasted whole chicken
Szechuan Pepper Mix
- lemon salt
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns crushed
- 1 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 3 lemons
- 3 tablespoons Maldon salt
- 1,5 kg whole chicken cleaned
- 0,5 white onion peeled and halved lengthwise
- 0,5 lemon halved lengthwise
- 0,5 fennel bulb halved lengthwise
- 4 sprigs Thai basil
- 2 Egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons Szechuan pepper mix
- 4 tablespoons lemon salt
Szechuan Pepper Mix
- Crush the peppercorns using the back of a pan, a mortar and pestle, or a blender. If you use a blender, pulse the peppercorns—do not run the blender at full speed, as this will grind it too finely. Combine and reserve for chicken. Zest the lemons with a mortar and pestle. Add the Maldon salt. Crush the zest and salt together until fragrant and broken down. Store in an airtight container, in a plastic or ceramic container wrapped tightly with plastic wrap, or in a ziplock bag in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat the oven to 400(o)F. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature before preparing. Stand the chicken, neck side down, on a sheet tray with the legs upward and facing you. Season the cavity of the chicken with 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon salt. Stuff the onion, lemon, and fennel wedges into the cavity so that the carcass will hold a nice rounded shape and not collapse while roasting. Stuff the Thai basil bunch into the center of the cavity with the leaves facing outward. Whisk the egg yolks together to make an egg wash. Brush the chicken liberally with the egg wash over any visible part of the chicken skin, minus the backside of the chicken. This will act as a glue for the seasoning to stick. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons Szechuan pepper mix and 4 tablespoons lemon salt over every inch of the chicken. Be sure to spread open the wings and legs and rub seasoning in all the crevices to ensure maximum flavor in the meat and drippings.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!