/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cook-Your-Life-Logo-687x1030.png 0 0 Leo Keijzer /wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cook-Your-Life-Logo-687x1030.png Leo Keijzer2019-05-10 17:15:552020-09-18 11:03:39Squid salad
- 400 g cleaned squid
- 1 pcs carrot julienne
- 1 pcs Cucumber halved, removing the seeds section and sliced thinly diagonally
- 100 g bean sprout
- 1 pcs Onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp big handful mixed herbs (mint coriander, Vietnamese mint.), roughly chopped.
- 4 tsp garlic oil
- 5 tsp roasted rice powder roughly crushed
- 2 tbs fried shallots sliced
- 1 pcs red chilli
- 2 tsp roasted peanuts
Fish sauce dressing:
- 5 tbs Fish sauce
- 2 tbs Rice vinegar
- 4 tbs Sugar
- 2 tbs Lime juice
- 4 pcs Garlic minced
- 1 pcs red chili chopped
- 0,5 cup very hot water
- To make fish sauce dressing, in a bowl mix hot water, fish sauce, vinegar, sugar and stir until dissolved.Set aside to cool.Once cool add the chili, garlic and lemon juice.Stir well.
- Put the julienned carrot, sliced cucumber and sliced red onion in 3 separate bowls.
- In another bowl, mixed 1 cup vinegar, Hbs salt and 1,5 tbs sugar. Stir until salt and sugar dissolved.
- Pour 1/3 of the vinegar mixture into each bowl of carrot, cucumber and onion. Mix within individual bowls and cover and put in the fridge.
- Lay the cleaned squid on a cutting board, insert your knife into the top edge of the body and run the knife down to the bottom of the squid. Fold it open as you open a book.
- Working from the top-right of the squid to the bottom-left, score diagonal slices in the flesh, making sure not to penetrate through. Turn the squid 180 degrees and repeat the diagonal slicing so you now have a crisscross pattern. Cut the squid in half from top to bottom, turn it horizontally and then slice through to make 1 cm wide pieces
- To cook the squid , place in boiling water for 1 minute, then refresh in iced water(or cold water) and reserve for the salad.
- Take carrot, cucumber and onion from fridge.Using your hand or a muslin cloth, squeeze as much juices from the onion and return to the bowl. Do the same with carrot and cucumber.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except peanuts, fried shallots and chili. Pour the fish sauce the dressing into the bowl and toss well. Taste and acid more dressing if desired. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with fried shallot, peanut and sliced chili.
Fried garlic and garlic oil
- 3 tbs cooking oil 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Heat up 2 tbs of oil in a small sauce pan until hot.Acid the garlic to the oil and fry until it is a golden colour. Be careful not to overcook the garlic, as it continues to cook once it is removed. Reserve the garlic oil to acid to salad.
Roast rice powder
- 2-3 tbs jasmine rice or pandang rice
- In a pan stir-fry the rice over medium heat until it is toasted a soft brown colour. Allow to cool and place in a mortar and pound to a fine powder. This powder will keep indefinitely in an airtight container.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!